Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I'm Going to Disney World!



Well, not quite, but you could say my excitement reigns pretty close to how I could feel next weekend. As you may (or as you should) know, the Baltimore Ravens are just 1 win away from heading to New Orleans for the Super Bowl. They are set to play the New England Patriots in a repeat match in the AFC title game this Sunday at 6:30 pm. Last weekend we beat the Denver Broncos in overtime 38-35 in what was one of the most thrilling games of football I've seen in a while. The whole weekend of games was really something to watch. I've always been into sports, but have watched more closely this season and have really enjoyed it. But back to Disney.... my best friend and childhood hip attachment Whitney (Eikenberg) Pallia has a large family just like mine. Still living in MD, they are Ravens SUPER FANS to say the least. Growing up, they took me to Disney World several times. To this day, Mike, the dad of the family, always calls and says, "Lace, when are we goin' to Disney?!", knowing good and well I will hop on a plane in a heartbeat to not miss out on an Eikenberg family extravaganza. You wouldn't either. Whitney and her husband Tony got married last year around this time (planning accordingly to the Ravens possible play in last years Super Bowl with the wedding the week before on 1/28). It was a week long event and rivals some of the best college spring breaks I've ever had, if not topping them. I call them the Kardashians of the Eastern Shore of Maryland. There's Mike, who goes along with the flow. Kathi, one of the girls and one trendy mother who I'd share a glass of wine with any day. Then the 3 girls - Whitney, Holly, and Michelle. Beautiful, best friends, and insane. Then there's Tyler to finish them off. The fact that he came out alive is pure fascination. Though being around us I am sure he learned plenty and plenty fast. When the Ravens beat Peyton Manning on Saturday I got a group text message from the clan....I called immediately after I stopped screaming and said a
quick prayer to the football Gods. The crew went to Tampa in 2001 when Ray Lewis received the MVP in the defeat over the Giants, and as I told Mike and Whitney - if Brady goes down....nay, when, Tom Brady goes down this Sunday I will make the call as to whether I am buying a flight or making the drive down to New Orleans for the big game! Either way, I'm getting there. Just thinking about it I'm getting hyped. They will surely take the 'Flacco' van. What's that you may ask? Just a 15 passenger van they purchased, decorated, and take to every game with the license plate that reads "Flacco". I'm telling you, come New Orleans should the Ravens be playing, you'll want to join us. I can't wait.



Regardless, win or lose, they've played a hell of a season and Ray has had a hell of a career.  And, to make it even better, we (the Eikenbergs and I) really are going back to Disney come July. Whoop!











No comments:

Post a Comment