Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Groundhog Day

Have you ever felt like your life was similar to the movie Groundhog Day? Maybe not as a whole, but at least a part? Recently I made that connection and came to the realization that a huge part of my life was on repeat. The '93 classic stars Bill Murray - or rather a character named Phil. He would go through the same thing again, and again, but each time tried to play his situation out differently. Their would be small differences to his repeating day, however, the same end result would occur. Phil finally realized that instead of going through the motions, he would take it with stride and improve upon himself and those around him. The changes were so positive that eventually, Phil broke the loop and moved on to the following day - never reliving the same Groundhog Day again.

I have found myself on repeat in multiple areas of my life. Sure we get up everyday, go to work, eat lunch, come home, have a routine, go to bed, and do it all over again, but that's not always what we need to change. Recently, my Groundhog Day was altered. The loop...broken. Just like the movie, Phil kissed Rita and everybody moved on. Though this time, I wasn't Rita. I was removed from the loop. Finding change difficult at first, I thought about it and well, maybe just like the movie, I'd take each day and try to fix something. I'd try to change it up for a different outcome. I'd get back in the swing of things. Literally. 



Always a hobby, just in the background, I've come back to golf, tennis, and found a new love like for running. I've been stuck going through the motions. I had a routine and I liked it. Though you can't figure out if there is a better way, or better plan, if you don't give up the old and go for the new. Phil broke the loop and what you are only led to believe at the end of the movie is that he goes back to visit that little town in Pennsylvania every year. If my memory serves me correctly, Phil ends up suggesting he will move there one day, but of course starting simply with a rental. We'll never know his choice, but there's a big difference between life's rentals and the ones you settle down in.

I've never been one for change. I get attached too easily and have a memory for everything. It actually blows my mind to think about the places I have lived and the friends I have made, because change is all over the place when I look at the big picture. I can remember, however, hating each transition, but moving on once the loop was broken. Never by me, sometimes simply by time, but always with a push. I've been thankful for each time (looking back of course) and from that, try to find the best in every situation. Even since February 2nd, I've reconnected with old friends and relationships, and have been reminded of the person I always try to be. 

Just remember tomorrow can be February 3rd, a new day. Get rid of something that's not at 100%, even if it hurts. Or try to be thankful it got rid of you. If you miss it, you can try to find it again. If you don't, you'll have your Rita... a new beginning and a new routine. And if nothing else, it's nice to know it's not 1993. There is Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, the Cloud, etc. etc.... nothing really dies, it just stays behind.



No comments:

Post a Comment