Friday, November 4, 2011

Soggy Shoes

My ride to work this morning was like any other rainy commute I've normally had....for the first 10 minutes, anyway. The last mile, I was overwhelmed with emotion, but held it in until I walked through my office door to find 2 of my closest co-workers chatting. By the look on my face they could tell something was wrong. I had to tell them what happened, what I saw, and then I lost it. Like the rain outside, my tears came down quickly. There is a homeless man that normally stands at the Woodruff Rd exit ramp off 385 headed towards Simpsonville. I always exit right.  He is always on the left. Today he wasn't there and in good reason, it was pouring down rain. But as I was stopped at the (unusually long) red light, about to turn right onto Garlington Rd, I was looking around and my eyes found him walking, freezing, soaking wet, through a shopping center parking lot. Light turned green and I drove the 150 yards to my office. I was quickly overwhelmed with thought. Where was he going, how long could he stay there, how did he get in that situation, what could I do to help? I know it might sound lame to some, but I couldn't stop thinking about how fortunate I am and, in the big picture, how ridiculous it is when I complain about being "broke". I get by with the salary I have, and with that and the support of family and friends, I manage to have a wonderful place to live, with nice things, a few meals a day (tasty ones that I actually want, sometimes making me too full), an active social life, a car to drive, smartphone, and a job that I love. Yet, I'm sure if we are friends you have heard me complain about having "no money" at one point or another. 

My job offers a lot of perks. And when I can, I like to share them. As I collected myself, drying my face with a Panera Bread napkin from a previously bought lunch, I knew I wanted/needed to do something. If I get excited when someone hands me a free gift certificate or offers to buy me lunch, just imagine how this guy would feel......Ironically enough, my roommate Meredith and I were just talking a day or two ago about 'good deeds'. Meredith holds a bible study for a group of younger girls before school one day a week. This weeks topic was about doing just that, giving back and doing good deeds. It stayed with me, I guess (thanks Mer).....I collected some things from the office and hopped back in my car to find him. At this point he could be a lot of places but on foot probably couldn't have made it too far. I finally found him walking into a Hardee's on Woodruff Rd. I parked, walked in and he wasn't anywhere to be found, but I did see him walk in, so I assumed he was in the bathroom. I waited outside the door like a stalker for about 10 minutes. Hardees customers came and went and I started to feel a little creepy. With patience, I started wondering how long he'd be in there. Lots of things crossed my mind. Was he drying out, was he using the porcelain throne to "do his business", washing up? Finally, he came out. I walked up to him and said, "Sir, I know this might sound really weird but I noticed you didn't have an umbrella", his eyes lit up and his jaw dropped a tad, "and I thought you might like something extra to eat." I explained what was in the pile of clippings I handed to him- $10 to Fatz Cafe, a free thickburger from Hardees, and a few movie passes to Hollywood 20 just down the road. He replied with a couple nods and a sweet "God bless you", followed with a hug - which admitidly I was nervous about, but then I thought about what an asshole I was being, and that maybe he hadn't had a hug in a while, so I embrased it. I smiled, told him to have a wonderful holiday, and walked back to my warm, dry, SUV filled with gas, and drove back to my job. I don't know what that man has done in his life to result in him being homeless, nor will I ever know if he has family or a group of friends. But I do know that he was thankful for what I was able to give him. There are always the people out there who say they don't feel sorry for someone in his situation because he could get help or make a change, but I couldn't help but put myself in his soggy shoes for a moment, and give him something I really didn't need. Do the same this holiday season and pay it forward.

1 comment:

  1. Lacey, this seriously made me tear up.....what an amazing person you are!! Can I do something to help as well? I would totally be willing to buy something (shoes, blanket, etc) for your "friend" or give you some $ to give to him. Let me know if you would want to do that and I will send you stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete