Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's Complicated

I'm in a complicated relationship. I know it. I don't care. And I want to share it with you, because I think you will probably understand. In fact, I'm not just in one, I am in multiple. 

The first, and longest, is with Dora the Explora (my Explorer). Or as I like to also call it/her the "Exploder". I was once told that FORD stands for Fixing Or Repairing Daily, and sometimes I feel like it. Now for the most part, she has been a real trooper. Driving up and down the East Coast, back and forth to weddings, holidays, vacas, etc. So I really can't complain. Except for when it comes to my buns. That's right - -  my non-toasty backside, that I jokingly call the extension of my lower back - - my gluteus maximus if you will. My car has no seat warmers and for that I curse the designer of this vehicle who must have grown up in the sunny lands of somewhere not here, because just as I get to work, the inside of my car is finally reaching a reasonable degree on an icy winters morning. A real first world problem I know, but none the less a huge strain on Dora's and my relationship. She redeems herself with incredible AC and a flashy sunroof, but these frozen cheeks just can't handle the frost.

Chicken Fingers. How I love you so. Unfortunately though you grew up on the children's menu and society has deemed our relationship an unfit match. You're perfect for a hangover brunch and I know that if I go somewhere and for some reason can't find anything I like, you will surely be there for me....just, on a paper menu with a side of crinkle fries and crayons. I love to love you, but I'm 26. Not 6. It's complicated.


The real thing, from Kate herself
As a freshman in college I had a roommate named Kate. She wore the fugliest old lady slip-on house shoe/slippers around the dorm. Kate, you know I love you and I'd like to formally apologize for hating on you. My delicate size 6 feet have gotten unusually used to wearing slippers around the hard woods of my apartment. I blame it on the chill of the floor or the 85 year old woman who has snuck into my soul this winter. Mine are somewhat adorable if I do say so myself, but still, fashion is out of the question. Thank God I live alone.

My DVR on a Thursday night. It has to hate me. Not only for what I'm actually recording, but for what's still pending from the week prior. Simply put, it's the best $10 I spend a month. I'm embarrassed, yet proud of the length of commitment I have put into some of these series. I have a love-hate relationship with Grey's Anatomy, Glee, Project Runway, Breaking Bad, Law & Order: SVU, The Bachelor, Chelsea Lately, Modern Family, Parenthood, The Biggest Loser, and a few others that run seasonally. Obviously it's a little much, and what some would call terrible television, but they are invested relationships. Hence the need to record. Some over lap and when it comes time to choose, peace out Glee. It's complicated.

Oh the troubling world of relationships.





No comments:

Post a Comment