Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Year of the Gaucho Pant

During the fall of 2005 there was a terrible pant invasion, and I admit I was part of it. They were everywhere. A thin yoga-bell-bottom-capri pant, if you will. They were known as the gaucho. Any decent sorority member had a pair in black to match her trendy letter t-shirt she was so proud to wear, and the real sorostitutes had them in several colors. It was the classy sweatpant. Roll out of bed, or match with your pearls, either way the dining hall and library were ready for your sweet cheeks to come strutting in. Add a pair of Rainbows on your feet and croakies hanging around the neck and the frat daddy's heads were turning. Or were they? I recently took a look back at albums on Facebook. Like Buzz's girlfriend - - Woof. Delete. Delete. And then I clicked delete, again. The year of the gaucho was terrible. Sophomore year to be exact. Killer in the terms of raging, but Dear God Lacey what were you thinking in terms of my wardrobe. For the Clemson fans - Explorers, the Ski Lodge, the Lakehouse, the quad, TTV, dt, and more...but for "Flash" - the digital photographer that took pictures at parties - probably literally a killer. Gaucho pants everywhere! The real bonus...elastic waistbands. Unfortunately some of us homegirls had figures to fit the pant. I'll go out on a limb and take a guess that like rompers and sock buns, unless you were already attractive, they weren't helping anybody. In some of the pictures I found it looked liked my face had been stung by a swarm of bees. Thank goodness for my strong sense of humor. 

Turns out this sweet fashion trend hasn't completely died. You can still score yourself a pair at your local Target, right next to the Jeggings - spandex denim with fake pockets and belt loops. 1 trend I'm proud to say I've passed on. 

So go back in time. Check out the invasion of the infamous gaucho pant that swarmed campus' and classrooms everywhere. Or perhaps, that's one year you'd rather just forget.





No comments:

Post a Comment