Friday, March 22, 2013

Dearly Beloved...

...we are gathered here today for me to share the news with you, that I have recently put some thought into becoming an internet ordained minister. If you are like any (or all) of my friends who I have recently told this to, you are probably scratching your head or have a look of disgust on your face, asking...why?! Well, like all great ideas it stemmed after a few beverages were consumed a few weekends ago with some friends. And what better place for the birth of this idea than at an engagement party. I was discussing with my happily married friend, Sara, how she would enjoy renewing her vows with her husband, Clay. Still newlyweds themselves, the conversation as you can imagine running on an open bar, got away from us a little, but resulted in me getting ordained, becoming a notary for the paperwork, and hosting what might be a very casual sand volleyball tournament/backyard BBQ party in their honor. I'm quite the event planner/entertainer, so becoming ordained would just be one more thing to add to the social résumé, anyway. Now this obviously isn't the reason I'd be doing it, yet would be a bonus. Living down south in the "Bible Belt", as well as just understanding the general importance of a ceremony to begin with, I can see where one might not want my services at their initial wedding. However, like the character of Joey Tribbiani on the great show, FRIENDS, I think my personal touch would be an asset to any one's big day. I've been to several wedding ceremonies (mostly destination), including my own 2 sisters, where the ministers do not know any thing about the bride and groom and you can clearly tell they tried to memorize facts about them to share with the congregation. Not a bad thing, but just lacking a personal touch. 


I could provide whatever you wanted. Perhaps a certain look or theme. A certain story. Maybe it's nothing. I know my opening and sermon would be better than this:


Maybe you're one of those "get in and get out" couples that's just ready to celebrate. Short and sweet ceremony - I can do that. I, too, like to party, but you already knew that because we are great friends and you want me to officiate your wedding. In fact when sharing this dream of mine with members of my bowling team on Wednesday, one Debbie Downer (sorry Lauren) crushed a party dream and told me I wouldn't be able to win the lottery if I became a notary. Another conversation that spiraled out of control. Before we knew it, we had realized that suddenly I was actually worried I was going to be a 26 year old ordained minister-notary that won 300 million dollars and couldn't collect. A little far fetched. We decided I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :) 

So what are the negatives? A 'waste' of money? If you are looking at a financial return on my investment, then yes. But if you are looking at memories that could last a lifetime, then ehh, maybe not. 

Abuse of power? This was brought to my attention - and I take offense that you would think that I would do something like that (cough*Hannah*cough). Trust me, I know I can't just go around marrying people. According to this really 'reliable' website, I need paperwork and letters for that...but... apparently nothing else.

So yea, stay tuned. Who knows, the next wedding you go to, I may just be the one legalizing the love on someones big day. xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment