Thursday, March 6, 2014

Food for Thought. Literally.

I never know who reads Hennessey Hits, and I'm not gonna lie, I get a really good feeling when someone out of nowhere says "Lace - your post about....". It lets this 3+ year nonsense live on another day. 

I always post the link to Twitter, but every so often I'll "@" someone on Facebook with a link to the latest rant about nothing. Knowing my friends, I knew mentioning the word "Naked." was sure to get some clicks. And it did. A lot of them. 

One was from a co-worker. The very same co-worker who helped me destroy a box of Samoas the day before. Our discussion led to this post - and the perfect segway from the ending of "Naked." seen here:

"After all, I think I ate half a tray of Girl Scout Cookies at work today. They were Samoas, don't judge. We've all been there. Let your mind wander about that."

I sit in a cube farm known as the "Shark-tank", which is ironic because I used to work at a tourist trap of a restaurant in the Outer Banks of NC, called Mako Mike's. We jokingly referred to it as the "Fish-tank". There were fake sharks hanging everywhere you looked and was promoted to have real sharks. Many of my tables would ask where they were located. After all, we told them in various dining guides we had real live sharks. The literal fish-tank by the hostess stand held a few....but these were no Grady Whites. Calling them a foot long may have been a stretch. I'd go into a long story of how "the gift shop used to be a huge tank, but they outgrew the area so this was a transition period". Amazing B.S. that each one of them bought - much like the touristy t-shirts they all went home with - well, that, and my favorite line of "Try the Mahi Mahi - it's so good they named it twice!".

Anyway, the Sharktank at work is simply named because of the paper maché sharkhead used once for a halloween costume gracing the area. My area of all places. Because of the nature of the cube farm, when you host a conversation, everyone in the area will join in. So when this co-worker mentioned my blog post and referenced my consumption of Samoas, quickly I was corrected with "They are called Caramel deLites". And there it was - another opportunity to be reminded that I am not from South Carolina. Suddenly you had 8 women discussing the names of Girl Scout Cookies. Samoas v. Caramel deLites, Tagalongs v. Peanut Butter Patties - all clearly defining each of us and our geological upbringing. And then, it hit again, another shock to the system. Just when you thought the only difference of a cookie was the name - we find this:


A photograph comparing the 2 cookies and a message -
Girl Scout Cookies are actually made by two different bakeries. 

Therefore ladies (and gents), the North and the South are once again divided. We are not eating the same cookies. I know - groundbreaking news. You want some more truth? Here it comes.

* All fruit loops taste the same no matter the color

* So called "Double Stuf" Oreos only contain 1.86 times the stuf

* Cap'n Crunch, is not in fact a Captain, he is a Commander

* Double dipping doesn't spread anymore germs than the single dip

* One serving size for Nacho Cheese Doritos is ONLY 11 chips

and there's more.... Click to Everything's A Lie. I'm still stuck on the fact that all Fruit Loops are the same. They got me. They got me good. #FoodforThought



No comments:

Post a Comment