Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bird Suicide

My mom was here this past weekend and a pigeon committed suicide on my windshield while we were driving down busy, hwy 85. We were heading to Home Depot and Target, just having a normal conversation, when out of my peripheral comes what appeared to be a large pigeon. This bird looked like it was in full mayday and before I knew it, it landed on my windshield directly in front of me, exploded, and the majority of its body bounced over the car landing in the middle lane of 85. Emotions hit immediately.

Let me start by saying I saw this bird coming, my mother did not. I ducked (no pun intended) when the bird hit the windshield. The impact was so loud that my mom and I both screamed, leaving me to swerve a little. I really thought at that second that when I looked back up the glass would be covered in blood, but instead it was a puff of feathers and a slightly cracked windshield. My immediate glance to the rear view mirror left me looking at a murdered pigeon in the middle lane of 85 just ready to be run over. I looked forward again, at this point balling. Why? I have been hunting, it’s a pigeon, and it happens. I guess the tragic death of this bird, added with the scare and the sound of the impact had me shaking. My mom started to rub my back and said “Do we need to pull over? Are you ok?”…. I said “It committed suicide and is now in the middle of the highway!” (whaling and crying) and she responded, “Well his body is in the road, but I’m sure his soul is in heaven”, at that point I thought what the hell are we talking about? Her response had me in tears…but tears of laughter. I instantly turned from crying to laughing hysterically. Uncontrollably really. There wasn’t even sound coming out, I was laughing so hard. I just exploded a pigeon. It was like a scene out of a movie. It went something like this…only it was a real bird, not tinfoil filled with old leftovers. Go to 1:28.


No comments:

Post a Comment