Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Holy Hill

Another 5k down, still a half marathon to go....

We have a wellness team at work. They encourage everyone to eat healthy and stay in shape. Our fearless leader, Keaira (pictured on the left), sent out an email to the entire company asking people to run the Swamp Rabbit 5K as this months wellness activity. There were immediate responses to the calendar invite with "no, thanks", as if we were shocked. There were also a couple yes's. This seemed promising. This is what we ended up with....Team Entercom...3 of the 4,000+ people who came out to run. What a turnout! I did "OK", which is short for "Holy hell that hill kicked my ass". I finished. I'll leave it at that. It wasn't my best time, but it was OK. Seriously, in a normal race I like to scope out the course and even run it a few times to ensure I can actually do it, and do it well, but this was so last minute that I never had the time. The first incline, I looked at Keaira and said, "Oh this must be the hill they were talking about", we both agreed. To preface, the website where you register for the race even said, "Sorry the hill is still in it this year". Then we go down this monstrosity of a hill, running faster than my midget legs can almost keep up. And then, we saw it. A hill so steep I might hesitate to sled down it should this southern town ever see a hint of snow more than a wet sludge. It was horrible. I barely made it to the top. People were dropping left and right, like the scene in the end of Titanic, where several passengers start to give up. 1 by 1 they start to fall at the sides. What...a wake up call. At this point I start praying to God that I get the strength back in my shaking, aching legs. Thank goodness my sister Lindsay got the stomach flu and is back at square one with her training....sorry Lindz, but I just can't have you beat me :) At least if we struggle, we'll struggle together. The hill was the only real battle of the course. That, and an annoying high school female who's encouragement for her struggling friend was unbearable. I'd now recognize that voice anywhere. I should really thank her, for it actually turned into encouragement for me to run faster just to get away from her. Seriously this high pitched of a voice girl would not stop talking the entire time she ran.

"You can do it, oh my god, you are doing so great, keep it up, you got this, you totally got this, oh my god this is like the third race we've done together, see- you can do it, you're like half way there, remember that time in the cafeteria when I couldn't stop talking, its like that, only you can't stop running, you can so do it, you're amazing, I'm amazing, yay!"

You get the idea.

On to the next one.....

No comments:

Post a Comment