Friday, May 18, 2012

Rumor has it

Where to start.
Things got out of hand last night...and I guess I saw it coming. In fact, I probably encouraged it. I did encourage it. I'd say I'm not proud of that, but I am. It's a wedding weekend and of a couple that I merely know through friends, but aren't necessarily friends of mine. So this is one I am sitting out. Because of that though I have some super fun friends in town who are in for a quick visit. Specifically friends Dorthe and Kiira. An NYC implant, Dorthe, came into town and convinced me to skip my Crunk Cardio workout for happy hour at a new hot spot, Breakwater, located downtown. And by convinced I merely mean she asked me to join. I spoke with Kiira, who lives in Charleston, earlier that day and convinced her to come to town a day early because we were going to get crazy. Again, convinced = asked. Kiira is never one to turn down crazy. It was a nice happy hour. We were verrry happy. Glasses of wine turned into ordering a bottle which turned into beers, which led to dinner at Liberty, which took us to Fords for Karaoke. Our friends Chris and Scott I believe were the original happy hour go-ers but with facebook these days, 2 turns into a group of 10 pretty fast. Anyway, Fords was packed and with the liquid courage I consumed I decided to sign up for a song as soon as we walked in the place. 3 minutes later I am given the mic and began to sing, none other than lead vocals in Adele's recent hit, "Rumor Has It". I've seen one scene of one episode of NBC's "SMASH" and that's what they sang, and I guess it stuck. I wouldn't remember details about this performance if I hadn't been shown a video first thing when I came into work this morning. From a co-worker....who wasn't there. I've gone viral, wonderful. For some reason I put a twang at the end of the majority of the lyrics, maybe that's my vocal disguise. An hour later when the place was really packed I sang my go-to, "Total Eclipse of the Heart", with Bubba. Definite crowd pleaser. You'd think that song would get old to my friends, but the video footage they got would tell you different. You can't really hear us sing that well because the crowd is so clearly going nuts over our performance, but here is a clip of the gem for your listening pleasure.


The night continued and quickly turned into morning. This wasn't my first rodeo as they say, so heading to work at 8:30 am was bearable. Not enjoyable, but it was gonna happen. Luckily for me I work in a pretty great place and they know my alter ego pop star personality, so the stories from my night were regular water cooler talk. Par for the course. Also standard for the day after a big night - checking my online bank statement. Realizing that what I spent was respectable for the fun I had, also brought a realization that today was the day I wanted to by a new 40" flat screen. What? Your hangovers don't urge you to spend $400+ on something for yourself. I was a star, why not treat myself like one....right? YES! So I walked into Best Buy bought the TV I've been staring at for weeks, was commented on having HENNESSEY for a last name at check out (insert stereotype here), and was on my way. The bad news.....my head still feels like I was punched in the face last night. Maybe it was the Adele.






No comments:

Post a Comment