Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Give me some mushrooms

I work on Woodruff Road. A road that if you never had to go near it, you wouldn't. A road where an average lunch trip around the corner, takes no less than 20 minutes to get to. A Christmas holiday nightmare, and a connector to major highway 85. I hop on 85 for a brief couple miles to get to my exit on my trip to and from work everyday. Yesterday I got stuck behind the slowest batch of drivers I have ever witnessed and it got me thinking. As I turned towards the on ramp to 85 I suddenly wished I saw these on the road....minus
the biker of course. No offense to any hard core bikers, but "Share the road" goes to you, too. Anyway, I wanted it to be like in the days of Super Nintendo where you drive over them and it shoots you into the sky or right past your opponent (which at that moment was a girl named Natasha. I know this because it was written in stickers all over her back windshield). If the speed limit is 55, please don't go 25 down the on ramp in hopes that you won't get hit by an on-coming tractor trailer while texting, and smoking a cigarette with the windows up, all at the same time. Natasha seemed to be a real multi-tasker. Good for her. At this point I was either hoping to run onto giant yellow booster lines or find a mushroom, or perhaps the best part of the child hood game....the yellow question marked boxes. Even though it never failed, I'd always get a worthless green shell. Children of the 80's/90's you know what I mean. You'd always want a red shell, a mushroom, or a lightning bolt to make everyone
around you smaller so you could run them over. I am not a viloent driver, however I do consider my driving agressive...and that's in the best way possible. A high school friend always told my mother to 'drive fast and to take chances'. And in the Hennessey family with our somewhat "out dated" vehicles, with the occassional questionable breaklines, green means go, red means stop, and yellow means floor it! I drove an old school Volvo stationwagon in college and you just learn to take your chances...driving it sometimes was the risk in itself. I personally think it has made me a better driver. Natasha and her out dated piece, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment