Tuesday, March 27, 2012

13.1


Scary to think that just 6 months ago I was worried to run a 5k and now I have my sights set on something much, much bigger than that - a half marathon. Catch up quickly by reading "We'll See How This Goes". To follow up from that - -I actually got deathly sick that day and wasn't even able to run so it's been even longer since I took to the competitive streets.

I set out to do my 3rd 5K with little to no prepartion. My first, however was what I thought at the time was the greatest accomplishment I had ever acheieved haha. Here are the cliff notes from my previous posting.

"A little background: a couple months before a friend of mine and I were discussing how in shape I used to be in high school vs. how out of shape I was at the time of this discussion. I told him I used to be able to just get up and run, and for long distances, and that even now I bet I could do 3 miles. Ye having little faith and hearing the humor/sarcasm in my voice, he took that bet and challenged me for dinner somewhere in Greenville. Man was I wrong. I think that may have been my wake up call. A couple laps around the track later, failure set in. My fat ass walked straight to the car with a shit eating grin on my face the whole way- - so yea, I was proud of myself for running 3 miles and in good time."

I'm telling myself I have come along way since those first couple 5k's. I have to. This time, much like the others, I have someone signing up with me, my sister Lindsay. We are the guarunteed underdogs of the 2012 Rock N' Roll race in Virginia Beach, VA. But hey, who doesn't like an underdog? Lindsay has had surgeries on both of her knees (don't worry she's been officially cleared as 'a go'), nor has she ever run any race. She did however prepare for one with our other sister but due to unforseen circumstances they never ran. Lindsay got up to 10 miles which leads to me. I can't fathom running 10 miles at this point just yet, nor can I imagine doing it for FUN! Crazy. But, do-able (I hope).

Lindsay and I decided that if we went pulic with our decision, there is no backing out. So here it is, my announcement that on labor day Sunday, 2012, we will be running as Team Hennessey Hits (for obvious reasons and becasue its a musically themed race)! VA Beach is super close to my Mom's house so we will have some moral support from her and my brother, as well as maybe some cousins, aunts, and uncles. Hell, maybe Marlene, the family manican, will even be there. Who knows, I just hope I can finish! I've got 6 months, plenty of time right?! Like I said, we are keeping this public - airing the good, the bad, and the ugly in hopes to keep us on track with 'training'. More to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment