Wednesday, March 28, 2012

DIY

DIY: Do It Yourself.

Thanks to Pinterest, numerous television shows, and blogs, doing projects yourself is the thing to do these days. I guess it really always has been, but with the craze of pinterest everyone is feeling quite crafty. Including myself. I've always painted canvas', coolers, and of course the occasional beer pong table featured on Hennessey In The Home, but I recently bit off way more than I chew. Re-doing furniture. Everything turned out great, but I don't think I had any idea what exactly I was getting myself into. What was supposed to be a Sunday afternoon turned into making best friends through out the week with an older gentlemen in the paint department at Home Depot, figuring out that the original hardware was so old that the holes drilled into the drawers are abnormally wide and rare, and that 2 quarts of red paint just isn't enough. My original plan for the back of the shelves was to get the copper looking back splash most commonly used in kitchens. Once I took measurements and went back to Home Depot I realized that dream was a little far off. At $20 a piece, when I needed 7, it just wasn't in the budget or plan of what I was willing to spend. Especially after the several trips to HD were not foreseen either. I looked into different back splash, I looked at fabric, I wandered Hobby Lobby for ideas and got nothing. Then after all was stripped, sanded, primed, and painted, and I found hardware, a more "creative" way to fill the back of the shelves came to me in the aisles of target. As I was buying the rug that will look amazing with my newly re-done furniture, I saw them. Bamboo/Straw/twig looking place mats..of all things. The perfect thickness, durability, and color I wanted. A nail here and there would do the trick and for $3 a piece I was sold. I had spoken with my sister about ideas and knew this one sounded ridiculous so I kept the idea to myself until I was finished. I was pleased with the turnout, especially once I put the picture frames, books and such that belong on the shelves back in their place. As you can see from the pictures, a few more touch ups are needed but I don't plan to do that until my move. I am sure that going out of my house and up a flight of stairs at the new place is sure to bring a ding or two. Fingers crossed. Take a look at the process...

Before and After's 

and the shelves

 final product....almost


Still needs some touches, but overall I'm happy with it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment