Monday, December 17, 2012

You've Got Mail


Single people are allowed to send holiday cards, too
I'm just sorry I don't have any cute animals to show off...
So, you're stuck with me :)

The annual holiday letter. I say holiday because our family's, if one actually makes it out, might not make it to your mailbox until the New Year. Which I think is just fine, because who arrives to a party on time anyway? The Hennessey family letter is like the fashionably late cool kid that arrives with a grocery bag full of miscellaneous beers. You never know what you're gonna get, but you know it'll do the job. My mother always writes it and after the debacle of 2007 she now sends us girls (there's 3 of us) the letter to proof and the picture to approve. I'd say I had a strong hand in that. Lets just say that year I wasn't exactly the shining star of the family, and DEFINITELY not in the family photo. My Mom decided to use a picture of the 4 of us kids fresh out of the ocean holding a surf board. Sounds great, right? Well, picture my long locks smothering my face. I couldn't tell if I had just experienced the wipe out of my life, or if I got caught in sudden hurricane winds. Terrible. But back to the letter....It's normally just a few sentences on what each of us are doing with our lives, and its never too boastful, which I appreciate. We all know those families who get a little too proud, but good for them. I'm not judging. So as I was discussing proofing this years Hennessey family letter (well before the New Year I might add....way to go Carol!), I started thinking about my own year in review.

January:
I made New Years resolutions on, you guessed it, Hennessey Hits. I did 1 and a half, well maybe half of another. Could 2013 be the year of completed resolutions? (crickets)

February:
Whitney Houston died resulting in me listening to her music entirely too much. Thus reminding a variety of people my lack of singing ability. Where I lack in musical talent, I pick up in rhythm on the dance floor. More weddings and too many pictures to 'detag or not to detag' on facebook....

March:
My bowling team "I Can't Believe It's Not Gutter" managed to come in last place by half the points. Not kidding. I'd also like to think that we had the most fun though, so that counts, right? (BTW - I hate that I even just said that. I'm not a fan of those 'everybody gets a turn' kind of things like children's rec sports these days. Call me what you want, but at some point a kids got to learn what he's good at or what he's not. At least I paid to suck at bowling....and drink an occasional beer). The Hunger Games came out - cue the screaming girls. I was not one of them. But I was/am Team Peeta, and I was shocked at how fast I read these books. Also, more weddings, and even a baby shower. It begins.

April:
I moved! For the 7th time in 3 years, and hopefully the last for a while. I now live alone and in a quaint little place close to downtown, so that was exciting. I saw my favorite homeless man get hit by a mini van. Not so great, but we weren't very close as you'd probably expect so I recovered quickly.

May:
I had notably one of the best nights of karaoke of my life....and it just continued to a great weekend. It would rival that of when my friend Ryan and I first sang "Total Eclipse of the Heart" at a bar called "Oysters". The bar has been shut down for a while now, but since that night the song has been a real go-to. Read Rumor Has It to get the idea of the glorious night in May. I believe there's even a video.

June:
The month of weddings and reunions. I had one every weekend and saw a million people. At one wedding a photographer actually recognized my dancing from another wedding back in February....so that could go either way I guess haha. Clearly I think its good. Also joined in on a group of friends kickball team - Pitch Slapped. Amazing and totally ready for the next season. We may not have been the most talented but our team was definitely the most attractive (if I do say so myself). A couple romances flourished from that season. Good for you guys. Lookin' good!

July:
My most favorite holiday is encased in this month, so clearly it was my favorite month of the year. Made a lot of close, new friends and definitely would do this one again. I'd say I had the most fun this month if I had to choose.

August:
Family vaca in the OBX, jumped on the "50 Shades of Grey" bandwagon, the Summer Olympics and my love of Ryan Lochte began and somewhat ended, and I treated myself to a few massages. I also was reminded of how suddenly it can all disappear, with the accident involving some dear friends. Luckily, I am reminded every day how blessed I am to have the friends I have, but you just never know. Keep up the good work Nick! And please keep your thoughts and prayers focused on our friend Jeff Fisher, too.

September:
FOOTBALL!!! My introduction to a good Arnold Palmer, and my developed fear of a Port-o-potty on gameday, as well as my fear of weirdos in malls. This was the month I had a man across from me in the food court take a picture of me with his iPhone while I was eating a breadstick shaped like, well you get the point.

October:
Another month I'd do again, and do the same. Great month. I turned 26. More football, Fall for Greenville, Halloween, I got an iPhone5 and a group of 16 of us went to Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the weekend and rented out a big house. I think my Snooki costume is finally retired folks. Lets hope next year the real one is retired, as well.

November:
I can't even sugar coat it. November was the armpit of my year. Terrible. A nice summary would be to read - Hell Week. In a nutshell homegirl here found out I had carbon monoxide poisoning, needed a new heating system, my water heater exploded from the bottom, and the electrical breaker needed to be replaced. Basically I had someone in my house all month doing repairs, with the exception of Thanksgiving, which was spent 9 hours away from family. There's always next year I guess.

December:
Lessons learned and another one under the belt. Lots of Christmas parties, a pub crawl dominated, a continued tennis hobby, and looking forward to new things in 2013.


The 4 Hennessey Kids.....Whitney, Lindsay, Me, and Billy
What I believe to be the 2013 holiday photo, a better attempt at the "fresh-out-of-the-ocean" look.
We all deserve a second chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment