Tuesday, August 2, 2011

We'll see how this goes...

Time for another "competitive" run. This Saturday, Lauren, Catherine, Coley, and I (and hopefully others but we seemed to be the only ones who respond to emails) will be running in the JulieValentine Center Run2Overcome 5k. I always forget these things are a race. I don't know if its the people blowing past me or the turds that start out at the front of the pack and then decide to walk after the first turn and jam everybody up....and no I'm not one of those people.


Last October I set out to do my first 5k - the Lungs4Life run/walk. I was extremely proud of myself because not only was it my first race but I did really well - - a little background: a couple months before a friend of mine and I were discussing how in shape I used to be in high school vs. how out of shape I was at the time of this discussion. I told him I used to be able to just get up and run, and for long distances, and that even now I bet I could do 3 miles. Ye having little faith and hearing the humor/sarcasm in my voice, he took that bet and challenged me for dinner somewhere in Greenville. Man was I wrong. I think that may have been my wake up call. A couple laps around the track later, failure set in. My fat ass walked straight to the car with a shit eating grin on my face the whole way- - so yea, I was proud of myself for running 3 miles and in good time. Even if it was only 3 miles to you. I set out to do another this past February and it was much colder and rained the entire run. Again, did pretty well, but this was my first real experience with people "getting in the way".  The course was pretty narrow and within the first 50 yards there were already people spread 8 people wide with strollers or their 6 year old jogging along (in most cases they were being led by their hardcore mothers who apparently couldn't find a babysitter and had to have their kid tag along. The kids almost never seem to really enjoy themselves even halfway through). I was in a real hurry to get past these road blocks -still undecided if it was being I was freezing my ass off, my toes were starting to prune from the swamp feet I had due to the intense rain, or if it was because I just wanted the run to be over, and fast.


The Run2Overcome will only be my third "race", but I'm excited, I guess. Lauren and I set out last night to test the course and see where we will be running. I'm really hoping we can't read a map correctly because that was the longest 5k course yet. Or maybe its the same and I'm just out of shape again? I have been slacking at boot camp recently. There's no air conditioning and with 100+ degree heat, sometimes it feels a little much. When talking to my mother on the phone and telling her my plan for the weekend she thought I was nuts for running. Thanks for the encouragement Mom. She was concerned about the heat index and me falling over in the middle of the run. I guess that's a concern. We'll see how it goes........

No comments:

Post a Comment